For those who are on a Detox or who want to reduce their exposure to potentially harmful chemicals that may be present in some skin care products, you can make your own. The great benefit is that it is an affordable way to pamper your skin with real live nutrients. Making your own natural beauty cleanser is super easy. For example, mayonnaise is a great facial cleanser that you can use straight out of the refrigerator.
We’ve got three different recipes for DIY cleansers below for you to try. Because you are making a cleanser yourself, you can customize each recipe according to your own desires and needs.
Natural Foaming Cleanser
This is a simple recipe with only 3 different ingredients, and, each ingredient is completely natural, inexpensive, and very beneficial for your skin as a whole.
The first step is to mix together tea tree oil, about 5-10 drops, add about ¼ cup of Dr. Bronner’s organic liquid Castile soap, and about a cup of spring water, and that is it. You mix all ingredients together and then put the mixture into a foaming pump dispenser.
This cleanser is amazing because it actually foams up, so it feels great to use. And of course, since you are making your own cleanser, you can alter it accordingly by adding lavender oil, sandalwood, or even vitamin E oil for added anti-oxidant benefits.
Raw Honey Cleanser
Raw honey is so effective for cleansing the skin. Make sure you buy raw honey as it has all the “goodies” in it. The wonderful nutrients and enzymes deeply hydrate your skin and help to keep it looking and feeling younger. This is a great morning cleanser but if you want to use it in the evening ensure that you have removed all make up first. Olive oil is an effective but gentle eye make-up remover. Pull your hair back into a pony tail and follow the instructions below:
- Cover your face with a warm damp face cloth to dampen your skin.
- Place 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of raw honey into one hand and apply the honey to your face with your other hand in small circular motions, massaging well. Mix with a little water if you prefer, to get a more liquid-like consistency. For best results, leave the honey on the your face for about a minute.
- Remove the honey with a warm damp face cloth.
- Tone and moisturize as usual.
Honey makes an amazing face mask. After applying and massaging the honey into your skin, leave it on for 15 – 20 minutes. Remove the honey the same way as above.
Note – some people may have an allergy to bee products. Do not use this recipes if you have this allergy.
One of the best ways to deeply cleanse your face and to remove all traces of dirt, oil and make-up is to use the oil cleansing method. Olive is oil wonderful for removing eye make-up and can be used alone as a facial cleanser. There are also some amazing blends that can be prepared for your particular skin type. Castor oil is an excellent oil to use in a oil cleanser blend due to its drawing properties. It penetrates deeply into pores lifting out dirt and all traces of make-up. Here are some suggestions for some luxurious oil cleansing blends suited to different skin types.
Combine 1 part castor oil to 3 parts olive, avocado, or apricot kernel oil in an amber glass bottle or jar.
Combine 3 parts castor oil to 1 part olive, grape seed, or jojoba oil in an amber glass bottle or jar.
- Fill your basin with hot water and add a drop of your favorite essential oil. Sweet orange oil is lovely and has youthful-skin promoting properties. Ylang ylang is another beautiful oil for the skin and due to it’s sedative properties is perfect to use before bedtime.
- Plunge a face cloth into the hot water and place over your face for a few seconds. Remove the face cloth and pour a quarter-sized amount of oil into the palm of your hand.
- Apply the oil over your face and gently massage for amount 2 – 5 minutes. Use firm circular massage strokes but be gentle around the eyes.
- Wet your face cloth in the hot water and wring out excess water. Gently wipe the oil off your face. Repeat a few times until your skin feels clean and soft.
You may find that you don’t need to apply moisturizer but those with very dry skin will benefit by apply night cream after the oil cleanse (if the oil cleanse if performed at night).
Have fun experimenting! These recipes are easy to make and easy on the budget as well. Stay tuned for more recipes, tips and information on wellness.